Wednesday, March 14, 2018

Spell of the Senuous #6


"In indigenous, oral cultures, nature itself is articulate; it speaks. The human voice in oral culture is always some extent participant with the voices of wolves, wind, and waves --participant, that is, with the encompassing discourse of an animate earth. There is no element of the landscape that is definitively void of expressive resonance and power: any movement may be a gesture, any sound may be a voice, a meaningful utterance," (117)

I started this response by using a canvas I stretched myself. I first dyed the canvas with wine and ink. I wanted to add to the surface, and this passage resonated with me, so I responded by making marks with acrylic paint and embroidery. I enjoy incorporating different materials within my practice, and  this is one of my favorite responses. For me, the marks resemble the human voice and the marks can be read like gestures.

No comments:

Post a Comment